Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Oi vey!!! HA

> > Two versions of the same tale!
>
> The Germans have a saying - I believe it is part of a poem by Goethe:
>
> "Herr, die Not ist gross,
> Die ich rief, die Geister,
> werd' ich nun nicht los."
>
> Which, loosely translated, means "Lord, my pain is great, for the
phantoms
> that I roused I cannot get rid of again!"
>
> ====
>
>
http://www.ynetnews.com/Ext/Comp/ArticleLayout/CdaArticlePrintPreview/1,2506,L-3407841,00.html
> 09:48 , 06.03.07
>
> 'I was put in a gas chamber,' says Israeli doctor
>
> US airport security check leaves Dr Dorit Zilberman distraught, after

> reportedly being humiliated only because of her nationality. 'My
family
> perished in Europe's gas chambers, I never thought 65 years later I
would
> be marked, isolated, and put in a gas chamber'
>
> An Israeli doctor who underwent tight security checks at San
Francisco
> International claims that she was humiliated only because of her
> nationality.
>
> Dr Dorit Zilberman, a senior urologist at the Chaim Sheba Medical
Center
> at Tel Hashomer who was visiting the United States for the first time
for
> a professional conference, claimed that airport security officials
led her
> to what she called a sort of "gas chamber", where she was sprayed
with a
> strong current of air for two minutes, which caused her great pain.
>
> =====
>
> US airport directors study Israeli passenger screening / Associated
Press
>
> US airport directors note Israel's profiling methods to single out
> passengers based on their appearance or ethnic group, a practice
banned in
> US
>
> Zilberman filed a complaint with the Foreign Ministry on the matter,
and
> sources at the ministry said they would discuss the subject with the
> Americans, while adding that the number of Israeli complaints of
treatment
> at American airports has recently been on the rise.
>
> After her handbag passed the standard airport screening, Zilberman
was
> told she had to undergo further security checks and was asked to step

> aside.
>
> "They took me aside, examined me scrupulously. It was a pretty
humiliating
> situation," Zilberman wrote in her complaint.
>
> The doctor claimed that once she presented her Israeli passport she
was
> told to walk on a different path than the other passengers. "It was a
dead
> end path that led to a kind of corner," she told Ynet.
>
> "I thought I misheard the instructions and I tried to retrace my
steps,
> another woman from the security crew ordered me to stop in a tone as
if
> she was talking to a retard. She told me 'You don't understand, it
says
> here that you should stop and wait for a crew member to approach
you.'"
>
> 'I have never experienced such humiliation'
>
> Zilberman then asked another crew member why this was being done to
her,
> and if it was because she was Israeli. The crew member simply
answered, "I
> don't know."
>
> Zilberman said she was then lead to a sealed chamber and asked to get
in,
> she was told that she would feel "a flow like in the shower".
>
> "When I walked in, barrages of compressed gas - probably air - were
fired
> at me. Since I am thin, it was very painful. I was then taken out of
that
> 'gas chamber' and taken to another corner where I was asked to take
off my
> shoes, my hand bag was taken from me and my belongings were taken out
one
> by one and scanned along with my shoes in special paper for tracing
> dangerous substances.
>
> "At that point I started to cry and told the man that in my country I
am a
> respected doctor, and that I had never experienced such a chain of
> humiliations. He told me that if I didn't like it, I could call the
> supervisor."
>
> Zilberman said that in all the countries she had visited, she had
never
> experienced such humiliation just because she was Israeli.
>
> "My family perished in the gas chambers in Europe. I never believed
that
> 65 years later, I would be marked, isolated and taken into a gas
chamber."
>
> An examination by Yedioth Ahronoth reporter Aryeh Egozi showed that
the
> so-called "gas chamber" Zilberman spoke of is meant to track traces
of
> explosive materials on passengers' clothing.
>
> Air currents meant to release particles of explosives are sprayed at
the
> passenger, and sensors in the chamber examine these particles.
>
> The examination method was authorized by all relevant bodies in the
United
> States and poses no damage whatsoever to the examinee. European
airport
> authorities are considering applying a similar search method as well.

No comments: