Tuesday, July 24, 2007

5yr old white child shot to death by black savages

Cape Town - "I never thought in my wildest dreams that my child would become part of the crime statistics."

These were the words of April Meiring, whose White son Dillon, 5, was shot dead on Friday after armed Mau-Mau opened fire on the family's car. Dillon was shot in the face while his family was waiting at a fuel station next to the N1. The family, who is from Oudsthoorn, was in Cape Town to attend a funeral and they were waiting for family members to take them to their destination at the Engen filling station outside Kraaifontein.

"We missed my uncle's funeral on Saturday. Now we have to make arrangements for Dillon's funeral. "I just want to go home to Oudtshoorn. One feels better at home. My car is still with the police and I would like to take my child's body back". The family arrived at the filling station shortly before 19:00 on Friday. Dillon's mother, Samantha, went into the shop. Their two other children, Zhane, 8, and Darrel, one, and the two children of another family member were also inside the vehicle.

As Mrs Meiring returned to the car, she overheard a group of men and realised they were robbing another man. "She looked one of the robbers in the face. He had a gun in his hand. "She got into the car and as I drove off, one of the robbers touched the door. I don't know how many shots were fired. "Then my wife said our child was shot." said Meiring.

Dillon was sitting on his mother's lap in the passenger's seat when he was hit. According to Meiring they tried desperately to stop other motorists. Meiring called on the government to do something about the crime situation in South Africa. "I even tried to talk to the president at the imbizo on Saturday, but there were many people and I didn't get a chance. I'm not angry with anybody, but the government must start doing its share. I don't want something similar to happen to another child."

No comments: